Monday, September 26, 2011

Spain - Part II (I Finally Found My Lost Pictures)



When I returned from Spain a few months ago, I was horrified to learn that many pictures were missing from my camera.  I don't know how it happened, but I did find many of them.  And I found similar pictures on my co-travelers' uploads to replace the ones I lost.  Here's the pictures I didn't get to put up, last time.


At the start of the trip, we visited the house of the great Spanish painter, Jaoquin Sorolla.  That's his grand-daughter on the right, giving us a personal tour of his amazing gardens.  On the left is our friend, Rene Prieto, who translated for her.

That's Sorolla, looking out over his patio.  I looked at what he was writing and it said, "Get off of my lawn."


And this is the amazing room where Sorolla worked.  The walls are more than 20 feet high and each one is filled with the artist's wonderful paintings.


Toledo is built on a very steep hill, so when you're tired in the morning you head for the really large escalator that takes you to the top.  It's hard to believe that an outdoor escalator can be so large and so reliable.  (Also, when you're tired in the morning you forget to set your F-stop and end up taking crappy pictures.)


Steven - The Most Interesting Man in the World.  ("I don't always go to Spain, but when I do, I stand underneath cool archways.")


Here's the inside of Toledo's majestic cathedral.  It's huge.  If you look closely you can see a small door in the middle of this picture, and that will give you a sense of the scale of the place.  It was pitch dark (the ceiling was usually not visible due to the lack of lighting), and getting this picture without a flash was tricky.


Here's another shot from the same building.  That's a hole leading outside, and there are statues and paintings of saints and angels pointing to Heaven.  It's very cool, and none of my pictures do it justice because you just can't get a really good shot of that sort of thing when there's no light and pictures aren't allowed.  How did I get these pictures?  Well, you see, my camera fell out of my pocket and just happened to land on the button, snapping a picture...moving on...


"Hey, guys, I dropped something that kind of looks like my passport...nah..."


I'm not sure how it happened; all I remember is that Andy said, "watch this!" and suddenly we were all in a Bollywood film.  Five hours later we started the second act.

In this picture, Andy, once again, appears to be showing off his mastery over time and space.  I have no idea who took this picture, what exactly is going on, or what Andy is sitting on.


Nothing scandalous happened that evening.  Nope.  Nothing, at all.  Move along...

Everyone wanted to eat at the famous Market of St. Michael, which is a well-known cultural place, or something.  This place is great if you've always wondered what it would be like to eat on a New York subway at 5 o'clock.  I'm pretty sure that every person in Spain shoved themselves into this little building when I was there, and I spent the evening avoiding the smelly people (it's exactly like a New York  subway) who were pushing up against me while trying to eat over-priced appetizers in a loud room.  It was like taking lunch at Thunderdome


We visited an old crypt and were instructed not to take any pictures.  That's when my camera fell out of my pocket and took this picture (with a 1" exposure).  It was a very cold and creepy dungeon with coffins and Gothic art; it was like being in an Edgar Allen Poe story.


This guy showed us some very rare documents from the middle ages.  Later, I told him that his purple gloves reminded me of the Joker, and he asked me if I had ever danced with the Devil in the pale moonlight.  Then, I sat still while he explained the history of a particular facsimile for two whole hours.



'Till next time!

No comments:

Post a Comment