Thursday, February 26, 2009

When I Met President Bush

I was walking out of class at SMU when I heard someone excitedly say, "George Bush is over there!" Another student snidely remarked, "Who cares?"

I care. How often is a President only a block away? I walked in that direction and noticed a crowd of about 50 people gathered around. I closed in and saw President Bush cheerily shaking hands and smiling for cameras.

Based on the media's assessment of things I expected rioters and violence, but all I saw was groups of ladies taking turns having their pictures taken with him and men lining up to shake his hand. President Bush was charming and polite to all.

When he came my direction I extended my hand and he gladly stepped forward and took the time to shake it heartily.

"Thank you, for everything," I told him.

I meant it. I appreciate Bush for putting good people in the supreme court and for fighting terrorism. He seemed to understand how serious I was because he looked me in the eye and said, "Is it my honor. Thank you."

He meant it, too.

I didn't get any pictures with him, but I snapped this one with my phone, which turned out remarkably well for a tiny camera that usually doesn't work.


Here's the story about it at Southern Methodist University's website. [LINK]

4 comments:

  1. That is so cool. One of my "wish I had been there moments"

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very cool. I was wondering if he'd wear a tie that was neither red nor blue after he got out of office. You have answered my question.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's why I'm here, Brian, to answer those tough questions!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm so freakin jealous. That's a super cool story.
    -Jeff

    ReplyDelete