Friday, July 18, 2008

Movie Review - The Dark Knight

Heath Ledger is the best movie villain ever.

Anyway, I went to the midnight premiere of The Dark Knight, last night, and it was one of the biggest movie going experiences I can remember. I saw the latest Indiana Jones film and some of the Star Wars prequels on their opening nights and this was a bigger deal with more people and more excitement than any of those films. (The biggest movie experience for me was when The Return of the King came out and I went to a special all day festival that showed all three films and then premiered the Return of the King. The Dark Knight was second to that event.)

The film is certainly better than the first. Of course, as some of you know, I really didn't like the first one. (In a word:pedantic.) This film is better, especially any part dealing with the Joker. Not only did Heath Ledger do an amazing job, but those parts of the story are very interesting.

Not so much, for the rest of the film. Plot points seemed forced and Batman's technology and weapons got too silly for me. The last five minutes contains a boring and unnecessary plot twist that had me waiting for the credits to roll. Batman is the least interesting character in this story and Christian Bale spoke in a very weird voice whenever he was in the Batsuit. There were people laughing every time he said a line.

My biggest problem is with the way the action is filmed. In Batman Begins the action seemed quite poor. Things moved in the dark when someone fought, but I had to wait until the end of the fight to see who won because I never knew who was punching who. I had hoped that this film would improve on this, but it did not. Many times the action would be nothing but quick jump cuts with blurs of motion causing us to wonder what we had seen. I usually had to watch the next scene play out to see which blur was Batman and what had happened to the blur he was next to.

Anyway, go see the film to watch the Joker. It's the creepiest and most amazing portrayal of a villain I can remember and it will totally freak you out. This Joker is evil and crazy and he makes you feel afraid and entertained at the same time. It's hard to say just how good Heath Ledger is, but it's worth seeing the film. People are talking about an Oscar for Mr. Ledger, and I agree. It's that good.

2 comments:

  1. HIPPIE!!!! :) Just kidding! Well I'm glad you at least liked part of the movie this time around. Still it was a very imprissive movie! - James

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's a shame he won't be around to clean up all the awards he'll be winning - because I've never seen anything like his performance as the Joker.

    With a name like that initially I expected something cheesy. Not so. The movie was hauntingly horrifying, yet an amazing experience.

    ReplyDelete