Thursday, July 24, 2008

The Freewheelin' Jon Foreman

Jon Foreman just might be our generation's Bob Dylan. You know him as the lead singer for the band Switchfoot (one of my favorites) but he is currently traveling as a solo act, performing as a singer/songwriter in intimate settings with his acoustic guitar and his new songs.

I had the privilege of hearing him, twice, a few months ago. The first time was a private concert in someone's living room with some other musicians and college students, the second time was at his show the following day. It was one of the best shows I have seen, and I've seen a lot of them.

His music covers a lot of ground. The beautiful and understated "Learning How to Die" details the thoughts of a person on their deathbed, while the effective ballad "Your Love is Strong" is a more straightforward songwriter's interpretation of The Lord's Prayer. Some songs are prayers while others are strictly observations of life, death, and love, showing us that Jon Foreman is not living in a Christian bubble but, instead, he lives in the same world as the rest of us. (Indeed, his song, 'The Cure for Pain" was featured on Grey's Anatomy.)

If I can recommend anything to you, I would ask you to check out Jon Foreman's website and download all four of his EPs (it's well priced and worth each cent).

Not only is Jon Foreman a talented musician/poet, but I had the honor of meeting him and he is one of the nicest people I will ever know. I was nervous. I've spent hours learning guitar lines and lyrics from his work, but he made me feel comfortable and really wanted to talk to me and the other fans he met; he's an amazing guy. Here's a video of him playing some of his songs for a few fans by a train track. (It's a little grainy, but it's good.)

2 comments: