Tuesday, January 8, 2008

Who is Jojolinkybob?

I once knew a couple who had a little boy named Caleb. I think Caleb was 3 or 4. I always think those kids are fun because they believe everything you say. When I met Caleb he asked me my name was.

"Jojolinkybob," I told him.

He looked bewildered, but he was raised well so he didn't act like it was really weird, or anything. He learned to pronounce this difficult name at my insistence and used it every time he saw me for the next year or two. His parents thought it was hysterical. "We're leaving, Caleb, say goodbye to Jojolinkybob!" they would say.

I spent the night at their place once and when it was time to go to bed he stalled by saying good night, individually, to each person in the room, which took a while. When he got to me he hugged me, kissed me on the cheek, and sweetly said, "Good night. I love you, Jojolinkybob."

It really happened. We didn't stop laughing for a long time.

I never told him my real name.

No comments:

Post a Comment